Oil on canvas
Signed and dated upper right
28.74 x 23.62 in ( 73 x 60 cm )ZoomInquiry - Zilia, 1984
Galerie Claude Bernard, Paris
Private Collection, France Galerie
R.Maillard et M.Prudhomme Estève, "Estève Catalgue Raisonné de l'œuvre peint", Ides et Calendes, 1995, p.434
"Estève (œuvres 1919-1985)", RMN, Galeries nationales du Grand Palais, Paris, 1986
“In front of each canvas we must find the intimate necessity that led Estève to such or such a decision: here, imperceptibly sliding a blade of pure color until it encroaches on its neighbor and in turn causes a tremor, light as a whisper; there, let collide two colored masses of equal intensity, trusting the sharpness of their edges to match them; here again, renounce the flat areas in favor of modulations sweeping gently and in all directions, like a light and capricious wind, the total surface of the canvas; elsewhere, distributing thick lava flows between incandescent glazes ... "
Extract from: Monique Prudhomme-Estève, Maurice Estève, Catalogue raisonné l'œuvre peint, 1995
Maurice Estève, French artist, is recognized as a major painter of the New School of Paris. He was one of the first representatives who turned after World War II towards non-figuration.
At the end of the 1940s, Estève abandoned figuration and opted for an emblematic abstraction which tended towards "an autonomous plastic language", inspired by the cubist movement and lyrical abstraction. The artist creates works that represent a geometric cut of colored planes interlocking and superimposing one another, like an aerial vision. Painting directly on the canvas, without sketches or drawings beforehand. This interweaving of forms, almost organic with bright and intense colors, testify to a great poetry. In the mid-1950s, he produced his first watercolors and collages.
Estève participated in numerous exhibitions, such as in 1955 at the Galanis gallery (thirty paintings from 1949 to 1954), in 1956 during the Estève retrospective at the Statens Museum for Kunst in Copenhagen, in 1967 in Zurich at the Neue Galerie, in 1973 at the Galerie Claude Bernard in Paris (exhibition of 42 watercolors from 1957 to 1972), in 1990 at the Galerie Louis Carré, etc.